SERVING SIZE: 5-6 Scallops, 1 cup greens
SERVINGS PER RECIPE: 4
- 1 Tbsp. Canola, Oil
- 1 each Onion, small dice
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 each Bays, whole and dried
- 5-7 each Baby Portobello, quartered
- 2 bunches Kale, ribbed removed & ½” width slices
- 1 each Orange, segmented
- 1 each Grapefruit, segmented
- ½ cup Red Wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 pinches Salt, Kosher
- 1 lb Bay Scallops, whole and patted dry
- 1 Tbsp. Butter, unsalted
- Sweat Onions, garlic, and bay leaves in a rondo with the canola oil on medium high heat.
- Once there is sheen on the onions add mushrooms and season with a little salt.(Your looking for color on the mushrooms before adding your kale)
- Add your kale to the pan and let the kale breakdown a little before deglazing with the red wine.
- Once the kale has decreased in size and has broken down its rawness a little, add your wine and season with salt. Keep the heat on Medium high to allow the red wine to reduce. (The wine will pick up all the flavors from the
bottom of the pan.)
- Cook until all the red wine is fully reduced down and there isn’t a pool of liquid on the bottom. The kale should be tender but soft enough where you won’t be constantly chewing in your mouth. This whole process should take
about 20-25 minutes.
- Fold in your citrus segments at the very end.
- Heat a sauté pan on high heat with 1 tsp. of canola oil. (You should see smoke coming from the pan.)
- Add your scallops in pan and keep the heat on high so they don’t steam.
- Occasionally, move the pan around so they won’t stick and cook until tender, you’re looking for some resistance but not rubberiness.
Approximately 2 -3 minutes depending on the size of the scallop.