Irritable Bowel Syndrome is the most common digestive disorder in the United States. It is estimated that 10-17 percent of the population suffer from IBS symptoms, but only 5 to 7 percent are diagnosed. I have several clients who come to me complaining of abdominal cramping or discomfort, recurring diarrhea or chronic constipation, nausea, bloating, excessive flatulence, bowel urgency, and/or loss of appetite. These are all symptoms of IBS. Do you or your nutrition clients have similar complaints?
I have found that the low-FODMAP diet is super successful at helping people conquer IBS once and for all! If you are unaware of the low-FODMAP diet, FODMAP is an acronym that stands for fermentable, oligo-, di-, monosaccharides, and polyols. Each of these group of carbs aggravate gut symptoms in sensitive people, many of who have IBS.
A low-FODMAP diet limits high FODMAP foods. A low-FODMAP diet may contain several proteins like beef, poultry, tofu, and eggs. As for whole grains, brown rice, millet, and oats work well. Bananas, blueberries, kiwi, limes, mandarins, oranges, papaya, pineapple, rhubarb and strawberries are fruits that can be included. Bean sprouts, bell peppers, carrots, eggplant, kale, tomatoes, spinach and zucchini are among the vegetables that are part of the low FODMAP diet. Nuts, seeds, and dairy products are limited, but some are okay. The diet encourages the use of many herbs for flavor, such as: basil, chili, ginger, mustard, pepper, salt, white rice vinegar and wasabi powder.
But what about convenient foods? It’s difficult to find FODMAP-friendly foods. Thankfully, there are products that are Certified FODMAP Friendly and one of the brands that has several FODMAP-Friendly foods is Enjoy Life Foods.
Over 20 of their 70 products are now Certified FODMAP Friendly. These foods include:
- Banana Caramel Grain & Seed Bars
- Banana Caramel Grain & Seed Bars Grab & Go Packs
- Chocolate Marshmallow Grain & Seed Bars
- Chocolate Marshmallow Grain & Seed Bars Grab & Go Packs
- Maple Sweet Potato Grain & Seed Bars
- Dark Raspberry Protein Bites
- Dark Raspberry Protein Bites Grab & Go Packs
- Dipped Banana Protein Bites
- Dipped Banana Protein Bites Grab & Go Packs
- SunSeed™ Butter Protein Bites
- Cinnamon Spice Protein Bites
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mega Chunks
- Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Soft Baked Snickerdoodle Mini Cookies
- Crunchy Chocolate Chip Mini Cookies
- Crunchy Double Chocolate Mini Cookies
- Crunchy Vanilla Honey Graham Mini Cookies
- Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Crunchy Double Chocolate Cookies
- Cocoa Loco Chewy Bars
- Dark Chocolate Bars
- Ricemilk Chocolate Bars
Enjoy Life Foods makes it possible for folks with IBS to satisfy their sweet tooth, fuel their workout, or have a healthy snack on the go without aggravating symptoms. Try them out—I’m sure you will be thrilled as will your nutrition clients!
Enjoy Life’s bright teal packaging makes it easy for shoppers to identify its foods on shelf in natural and conventional retailers nationwide. To find a retailer near you, visit www.EnjoyLifeFoods.com/Where-to-Buy. To learn more about Enjoy Life’s portfolio of FODMAP Friendly Certified products, please click here.