It’s been a crazy day at work and your kids come from school STARVING! The last thing you have energy to do is to prepare a healthy after-school snack. Here’s a go-to list for you that includes both veggie and fruit snacks—and you thought it was tricky getting in the MyPlate recommended 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
- Sliced cucumbers and hummus or low-fat ranch
- Lightly salted edamame
- Ants on a log (celery sticks with nut butter and raisins)
- Organic low-salt tortilla chips with salsa
- Kale chips (google recipes—there are tons of renditions)
- Rainbow fruit skewers (choose a variety of fruits, cop or wash them and keep them in Tupperware in your fridge. Let your kiddos put together the skewers).
- Sliced apples or sliced bananas with nut butter or go crazy with sliced apple, nut butter, with a banana slice on top
- Fruit smoothie (blend one cup of frozen fruit of choice with 1 cup skim milk or milk alternative; add a drizzle of honey for some sweetness)
- Sliced berries with a drizzle of dark chocolate
- Dried fruit with raw nuts of choice
Hope these snack tips help you out this school year!