For the spice mix:
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
For the tofu scramble:
- 1 tablespoon oil or (¼ cup water or vegetable broth) ● 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 block of firm tofu drained and pressed*
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- Add all of the spice mix ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil or water or broth. When hot, add the mushrooms, pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté until everything just starts to brown.
- Add the tofu and break it apart with your spoon into a crumble. Stir in the spice mix and black beans. Heat through for another 5 – 10 minutes until hot.
* Wrap tofu in paper towels and set it onto a cutting board. Place something heavy on top of the tofu and let it rest for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, wring out the paper towels, rewrap the tofu and flip it over before placing it under something heavy for another 10 minutes.