If you know me at all, you know I recommend lots of fruit, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and low-fat dairy. My preferred cooking methods are steaming and grilling. But sometimes, we can’t help but crave something fried, right?
Fried food is bad news. When food is fried, especially deep-fried, trans-fats are formed. Trans-fats are awful for your heart health. When you eat a lot of trans-fats, your cholesterol will go up as will your blood pressure. You will likely gain weight. If you become overweight, your risk of Type-II diabetes and heart disease increase exponentially.
Fortunately for fried-food lovers, an air-fryer is a healthy alternative. It is a relatively inexpensive kitchen appliance. Food is fried with just a Tablespoon or less of oil and it becomes crispy through circulating air—convection. And it is quick too!
I wouldn’t go crazy with an air-fryer, using it every night, but it is good to use on those occasions when you crave fried food.
Here are three of my favorite air-fried recipes.
Steak-cut French Fries
- 3 large russet potatoes
- Olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of cracked pepper
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4-5 slices
- Soak the potatoes in water for 20 minutes (this removes excess starch).
- Dry the potatoes with paper towels and place them in a large bowl.
- Spray the potatoes lightly with olive oil spray.
- Toss in salt and pepper.
- Air fry for 20 minutes at 380 degrees.
Buffalo chicken bites
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped in cubes
- Two egg whites, beaten
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup Frank’s hot sauce
- Mix breadcrumbs with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken bites into egg whites.
- Toss chicken in breadcrumb mixture until well coated.
- Pour sauce over chicken and coat well.
- Air fry for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 1 Large zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 egg whites beaten
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat air fryer to 350.
- Mix panko, parmesan, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Dip zucchini slices into egg and then breadcrumb-parmesan mixture.
- Add as many slices as you can on air fryer and spray with olive oil spray.
- Air fry for 10 minutes and then flip and air fry for 5-6 minutes in the other side.
- Repeat with remaining zucchini slices.