Do you love Mexican food as much as I do? I’m not talking Taco Bell- Mexican or even Chipotle-Mexican; I’m talking authentic Mexican food. I’ve taken some heart healthy foods like beans (hello fiber) and quinoa (as a rice substitute) and avocado (hello heart-healthy fat) to make three quick dishes this week. Enjoy them on their own or as part of a meal.
-8 corn tortillas
– olive oil spray
– 1 can kidney beans
– 1 cup cooked corn
– 6 ounces low-fat cheddar
– salsa (a delicious low-calorie snack—and it counts as a vegetable)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Use the olive oil spray to spray a baking sheet.
- Steam each tortilla for 5- 7 seconds (this helps prevent them from breaking apart).
- Put a few tablespoons of kidney beans and a tablespoon of corn in each tortilla and sprinkle a little bit of cheddar over the beans and corn in each tortilla and roll the tortillas.
- Place each rolled tortilla onto the baking sheet.
- Bake at 275 for 12-15 minutes or until tortillas are crispy.
- Dip in your favorite salsa.
- 2 medium sized avocados
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Mash the avocado with a potato masher.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients with a fork.
- Serve with crudities (baby carrots, sliced bell peppers, sliced radishes, sliced celery, sliced cucumbers) or low-salt tortilla chips.
Quinoa and Beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 gloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly (this removes saponin—which gives quinoa a bitter taste)
- 1 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 can of black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped jalapenos (optional)
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a saucepan for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix in quinoa, broth and cumin, bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix in beans, corn, cilantro, salt pepper and jalapenos if you choose.