You want to cook at home, but you feel like you don’t have the time, deciding “Chinese Take-out or a pizza is so much easier!” This mentality is exactly what inspired me to start a Three Quick Dishes series. Look for these blogs once or twice a month.
This time of year, I turn to homemade soups. Canned soups and restaurant soups are often loaded with cream and salt, wreaking havoc on your health goals so I have developed several quick and easy soup recipes that are healthy and delicious!
Serve these with a crusty whole-grain bread and your whole family will be satisfied.
Spicy Kale and DIll Soup
- 2 fist-sized russet potatoes cut into cubes
- 1-½ cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 6 cups of filtered water
- Herbamare to taste
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 and 1/2 bunches of kale, cleaned and chopped and slightly steamed
- ½ cup of minced dill
- A small handful of basil leaves
- Place the potatoes, onion, garlic, water and Herbamare in a soup pot. Bring them to a boil then cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Use a food processor or blender to puree the boiled soup with the kale and fresh herbs. You will need to do this in several batches.
- Return the soup to the pot and heat slowly. Serve hot. “(Note: You can save even more time by blending the soup using an immersion blender).
Note: You can save even more time by blending the soup using an immersion blender.
Delicata Squash and Pear Soup
- 3 or 4 Delicata Squash – chopped and seeded
- 2 Pears – cored and chopped
- water – to cover
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Place squash and pear in large pot – chop into smaller pieces if you want to cook faster
- Cover with just enough water to cover squash/pear mixture
- Place lid on pot and bring to boil
- Add a pinch of salt, a dash of olive oil and your herbs.
- Cook on med heat for 20-30 minutes or until squash is tender
- Once cooked, use a hand-held blender or food processor to puree to a smooth and rich consistency
- Serve immediately or set aside for reheating later – tastes great both hot and cold
Quickest Chicken Noodle Soup Ever
- 1 rotisserie chicken, breast meat shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz. whole wheat egg noodles
- Sautee celery, onion and carrots in olive oil in a large coup pot for 6-8 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes. Add a couple teaspoons of broth if it gets sticky.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return to a soft boil.
As soon as the noodles are soft, serve the