Looking for a last-minute healthy option for a Thanksgiving side or a main dish for vegetarian or those focusing on a plant-based diet? Look no further! This dish is jam-packed with ample protein, an abundance of fiber, and tons of antioxidants!
- 2 medium butternut squashes halved, and seeds removed
- -¾ cups of quinoa well rinsed
- 1 ½ cup mushroom broth
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place squash on it cut-side up.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the squash is fork-tender.
- Remove squash and reduce oven to 375.
- While squash is baking, bring quinoa and mushroom broth to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 20-minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Mix the remaining ingredients except the Parmesan cheese with the quinoa.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out 2/3 of the flesh, leaving some around the sides. (You can saved the scooped out portions to make mashed butternut squash).
- Add the quinoa mixture into the “holes” in the squash.
- Top with cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.